Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup

 Are these not the sweetest little butternut squash ?


They were shared with us from Jim, Joy, Hailey & James's first veggie garden.....grown with love and gifted in love :))  So often people struggle with what to feed or gift us food wise with our diet restrictions & choices.  Not Jim & Joy !!!  After admiring them for a few day....I decided that I'd roast them up and make some super yummy Butternut Squash soup :)


So first I started by cut them in half and cleaning out the seeds.  Then I just tossed them facing up in a 9 x 13 pan, covered with a piece of foil and into a 400 degree oven until they were soft and smelling done .....

Then I allowed them to cool a bit and scooped out the meat of 5 halves into a bowl ( Keisha needed to snack on one :)  smashed them up a bit more and set aside.

In a medium pot I sauteed up 2 small onions, 2 stalks of celery and a couple tablespoons of olive oil.  Once softened I sprinkled in some salt, pepper, dried parsley & cinnamon to taste.  Let saute a few minutes more.  Then in went the squash and about 6 cups of water ( you can use veggie or poultry stock if you wish).  Allow to simmer for about 45minutes or so....it's not to fussy.  Remove from heat.  Then blend. I prefer to use my hand held wand blender......but a regular counter one would work also....you just may need to do it in batches :)


It's super simple and yummy ......that even my non squash eating Ana Rose loves it !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment