Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cocunut Macroons - a gluten free indulgence


So..... I'm just finishing my third week of eating gluten free in addition to my eating dairy/ any other allergen free.  It's going really well. My sinuses are clearing, my eczema is fading, I've lost weight and my metabolism is revving back up !!  Ana's finishing up her second ......she's doing very well....I'm already seeing a difference.  Her moods swing are much tamer, her sleep is calmer, her skin looks better, the dark circles under eye are gone and she's eating up a storm.  She announced this evening that she feel's better and thinks she should keep eating "this" way.  We both know that she has a REALLY hard time handling even the slightest feeling of deprivation.  There have been a few moments over the last couple of weeks.  She's gotten upset in the moment but hasn't allowed a rage to take over.  One of our strategies has been to do a lot of menu planning.  My recipe books are full of orange post it note and I think I'm running out of room to book mark any more online.

Yesterday the ladies at church gathered for a group birthday luncheon.  After much thought I decided to bring chicken veg. kabob, veg. flavored brown rice and two sweat treats.  Chocolate Marshmellow squares & Coconut Macaroons.

I make the marshmellow squares following the regular recipe except I used vegan margarine, half crispy rice cereal and half puffed rice and I threw in about a 1/4 of a cup of pure( no dairy) chocolate pieces.

The Macaroons recipe is.......

2/3 cup coconut
2 tsp. cornstarch ( you could probably substitute a different type of starch if you don't use corn)
a sprinkle of salt
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 egg whites

- Preheat oven to 275 degrees, line baking pan with parchment paper.

- Combined coconut, salt & starch.   set aside.

- Beat egg white until fluffy but still shiny, mix in sugar gradually

- Fold in vanilla, then coconut mixture

- spoon onto lined trays leaving an inch or two between the cookies

- bake one pan at a time for approx. 20 to 30 minute.  just until they start to change color.  allow to cool for a few minute then remove to cooling racks to finish cooling

Yesterday I double the recipe....it wasn't enough !  So I made more today.....we'll see how long these ones will last.  I may need to hide them !!

No comments:

Post a Comment