Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Autumn Cellar Soup

I've been laying low the last few days trying to shake a pesky cold. When feeling under the weather I tend to crave simple, low fat meals...comfort foods like the following recipe. I love everything about this soup. Root vegetables & cooked tomatoes are on the top of my lists a fav.'s. The thing I like most, besides the flavor, is the cost. On average I can make a huge pot for around $12 buck. It will last several days in the fridge & can even be frozen ( I don't care for the texture of potatoes that have been frozen so we tend just to eat it for every meal until it's gone)





2 lbs ground red meat ( beef, bison, moose or elk. It all works well)
2 large onions diced
5 stalks celery diced
5 large carrots diced
1 medium rutabaga diced
6 -8 large red potatoes large diced
3 bay leaves
2 tsp. dried basil
2 tbsp. beef bullion
2 medium cans diced tomatoes
Hot water to cover
salt & pepper to taste

1. In a large stock pot brown meat.
2. Drain off any fat.
3. Add diced vegetables, seasonings, bullion & enough hot water to cover.
4. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 min.
5. Add canned tomatoes. simmer for another 20 min.
6. Salt & pepper to taste.

I hope you give it a try. It really is a good one !!

No comments:

Post a Comment